Rydal Park’s Five Tips For Senior Health & Fitness For National Senior Health & Fitness Day May 27
May 05, 2015
RYDAL, PENNSYLVANIA (MAY 5, 2015): The theme for the 22nd annual National Senior Health and Fitness Day on Wednesday, May 27 is “If You Keep Moving – You’ll Keep Improving!”
In alignment with the event’s goal to keep older Americans healthy and fit, Rydal Park continuing care retirement community in Abington Township, Montgomery County, offers five tips for senior adults to keep moving and improving, and announces four new wellness programs for its residents.
Angelina McNellis, Rydal Park’s fitness trainer since 2003, offers these five tips, gained from her years of insights working with senior adults, to maintaining and improving their physical and mental fitness:
- Keep active. Do something to keep fit every day, ideally something that you enjoy, to help maintain balance, strength, flexibility and cardiovascular health.
- Focus on being thankful. Appreciate and enjoy your life! Don’t take people, things or your current health for granted. Gratitude can greatly improve your overall outlook on life.
- Accept that some things are out of your control. Keep stress at bay with this healthy attitude.
- Prevent falls. Remove or repair loose carpet, and steer clear of throw rugs. Keep pathways clear of electrical cords and anything else that may cause a trip, slip or fall.
- Maintain a healthy weight. Extra weight can aggravate heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, and more. Find your happy, healthy medium by consuming lean proteins, fruits and vegetables, whole grains and calcium-rich foods.
Angie particularly recommends tai chi, a low-impact system of gentle physical exercise and stretching that’s popular with many Rydal Park residents. A flowing series of movements performed in a slow, focused manner and accompanied by deep breathing, tai chi is inexpensive and can be done almost anywhere. It utilizes and improves concentration, memory and balance, and results in stress relief, better flexibility and stability.
Carla Watts-Kennedy, Rydal Park’s director of resident services and wellness, also believes in a holistic approach to health and fitness for older adults. She has developed these new wellness programs for Rydal Park residents:
- Healthy Aging: Monthly educational discussions with residents about healthy living lifestyles, conducted by Rydal Park’s nurse practitioner Regina Mason
- Fun Never Retires/Enhanced Fitness: In partnership with the Abington YMCA, Enhanced Fitness is a proven senior fitness and arthritis management program that improves endurance, strength, balance and flexibility. Recognized by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and other national organizations committed to improving the health of older adults.
- Massage Therapy: Promotes relaxation, stress relief, relief from chronic pain, improved circulation and sleep, and overall wellbeing. Residents can use it to support a specific clinical need, or for relaxation and rejuvenation.
- Holistic Therapies: Holistic healing considers the whole person – body, mind, spirit and emotions – to assist in healing, and achieving optimal health and wellness. The new therapies being incorporated in partnership with a Holistic Therapy Practitioner include Reiki, energy healing, talk therapy, spiritual counseling and acupressure.
Taking place on the last Wednesday in May, National Senior Health & Fitness Day is the nation’s largest annual health promotion event for older adults. In addition to promoting awareness of senior health and fitness, it is estimated that 100,000 older adults will participate in activities at more than 1,000 locations throughout the U.S. on that day.
For more about National Senior Health & Fitness Day, visit: www.fitnessday.com
For more about Rydal Park, visit www.RydalPark.org
NOTE: INTERVIEWS, VIDEO OF TAI-CHI PERFORMED BY RYDAL PARK RESIDENTS, AND PHOTOS ARE AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST.
# # #
About Rydal Park
Opened in 1974 and located on a scenic 20-acre campus in Abington Township, Montgomery County, Rydal Park is a full continuing care retirement community that offers independent living across four contiguous apartment home buildings, as well as personal care, skilled nursing and rehabilitative care. Known for its exceptional location and amenities, Rydal Park has become synonymous with healthy, elegant and quality retirement living. In total, Rydal Park offers 509 accommodations.
Click here for a document of this article.